Sunday 5 October 2014

Utopia/Dystopia

Book genres, I don't think I will every get board learn the names of the many genres. A month or two ago I came across a genre name I had never heard of before. Dystopia, nope never heard of it.
Although there was something about it that made me want to know the meaning, so naturally I put the word into Google. 
A society Characterized, by human misery as squalor, oppression, disease, and overcrowding. The opposite of a Utopian society. (world at its end basically)

If you have ever watched movies such as, The Matrix, Terminator, etc, you would have noticed the destruction of the world as week know it. Ones like that is Dystopia at its purest. Though there are others such as, The Hunger Games, Divergent, The Giver, and The Maze Runner, which have a Dystopian, Uptopian feel to it. Everything has its levels. 

Utopia is the image of a perfect society. Paradise, heaven...

Some of the most popular YA fiction has a dystopian element to it. And to be honest I oddly enjoy it... (More on the subject to come) 

-Rachel 




    









No comments:

Post a Comment