Saturday 1 November 2014

NaNoProgress: Day one/I all of a sudden forgot how to type!

Word count: 2,705

So today is day one of NaNoWriMo! I started at 12 am this morning, and wrote nothing due to writers block. It was quite tragic! I lay in bed sweating about it. It was something worthy to panic about. I had spent a whole month planning this novel out, and I couldn't even think of the words to put down!
Good news: Well I started with some journaling! It helped me remember how to type (yeah, in the panic I had almost forgotten) I wrote out the possible beginnings and stuck on one completely off my outline. But it works, and that's all that matters. The results of that meaning having to create a new character (who just happens to be a dead one. But a character all the same) 
I succeeded with hitting required daily word count, then going beyond that! 

This whole thing got me shaking! No kidding! My mind is not working like it should. Though I keep on having to go back to the NaNoWriMo motto "quantity, not quality,"and it all make perfect sense!   So I said I would through in a author quote in here everyday! And I've been wanting to share this first one for a while.

Authors Inspiration: A while ago I stumbled upon the Volg Brothers run by John and Hank Green. And yes you will be thinking, John Green!  The guy that wrote the fault in our stars? The saddest book ever. And yes its that John Green! I watch one of his vlogs that he did a couple of years back on NaNoWriMo. The thing that struck me about this guy was how funny he was (with the added dash of sarcasm along side that) and all I would think about when I was watching the video was "did this guy really write the fault in our stars?"

But any way! He made some good points about first drafts. He said that a first draft is never going to be good like the finished product. (and that it took him years to write all his novels) The way he put it was "Writing a book is like building a clay sculpture. The first draft is like digging the clay out of the ground, to make the sculpture!"
To me this makes sense. Cause with all the drafting, and re drafting, and more drafting. Its like building your sculpture. 

That is all I have for you today! I'm very tired.

-Rachel  

1 comment:

  1. The clay sculpture thing is so true! I've heard it before, but with sand/a stand castle. Hope you soon settle into a rhythm and pound those words out :)

    ReplyDelete